At Beaver Lakes Nursery & Landscape Supply, we’re all about keeping it organic. But why? Read on to learn more about why we’re passionate about natural, organic fertilizers.
Why Organic Fertilizers
Chemical fertilizers are easy to buy and contain the well-known trio of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. However, the pros mostly stop there. Those three, known as macro-nutrients, are indeed necessary for your plants. But they are only three of thirteen nutrients most plants need. Calcium, sulfur, and magnesium are generally ignored, though they qualify as secondary nutrients. Usually completely ignored are the micro-nutrients, which include boron, chlorine, manganese, iron, zinc, copper, and molybdenum. While these are needed in far smaller quantities than macro-nutrients, they are still essential.
Another reason why we are all about organic fertilizers is because chemical fertilizers can be hard on earthworms and micro-organisms in the soil that keep it alive and working. Without these important micro-organisms and worms, plants have a harder time accessing the secondary and micro-nutrients not found in chemical fertilizers. We want to keep all aspects of your garden and the surrounding environment (including all the critters) healthy, and the right organic fertilizers help keep things in balance.
Organic fertilizers are complex compounds that add the important secondary and micro-nutrients we mentioned earlier to your soil. Organics such as bone meal, blood meal, feather meal, rock dust, and earthworm castings can help your plants and garden out. In no particular order, here are the benefits organic fertilizers have:
- They release their nutrients more slowly into the soil, which means both soil and plants get the nutrition they need when they need it.
- They improve the soil texture, allowing it to hold water longer as well as increase the bacterial and fungal activity in the soil.
- Adding even a little can aid in organic matter in the soil.
- Their environmental impact is better than chemical fertilizers and is safe for not only the environment, but you, your family, and your pets.
- They can reduce the need for pesticides on your plants.
- They are less likely to burn the young roots of seedlings.
- Adding some to your soil in the fall is the perfect way to prepare it for the spring.
Organic fertilizers are a necessity for any gardener growing plants that will soon be eaten, juiced, rubbed on you (salves), smoked, or ingested in any way. Using them is the healthiest way to go – for not only you but for your garden and the environment too!
We have a big list of organics for you to choose from. If you need help deciding which one would be best for your garden, we’d be more than happy to give you advice! Beaver Lakes Nursery & Landscape Supply is located in beautiful Montrose, Colorado, and we can’t wait to help you grow!